Saturday, July 11, 2009

Untitled 11 Jul 2009

I had a nice time with a friend early today. The topic of our one-hour discussion was, of all things, Japan in the face of globalization. Nosebleed? This one is for mental masturbation only.

Every Saturday, I meet up with this young Japanese fellow just to converse in the English language. Very keen on learning the language, our topics ranged from computers, sports, weather, food, travels and current events.

Today it was different. It was more interesting to both him and me. What triggered the bloody topic was my inquiry concerning his job-seeking in Tokyo. As we all know, there is not much to find nowadays. Japan, my friend, and me are no exception.

Recent articles suggest that Japan is no longer the giant economy of Asia. With economic recession coupled with declining population growth, its human population may be further decreased by 20 million in less than 40 years. When the bulk of baby boomers retire, who will man the mega-economy that they have?

With the emergence of China, South Korea, and Malaysia as strong economies, more challenging moments beset the country. In contrast with Japan where conservative business approaches are used, we asked ourselves whether the traditional methods are still effective in this changing and more challenging business climate?

I am not an economist and my observations are probably biased and not based on accepted economic models. I am speaking from a layman's point of view. But in countries with mature economies, people tend to focus more on their job and postpone getting married. Particularly working women, they later realize that they want to have a family when their reproductive cycles are starting to say sayonarra.

To resolve the issue, the Japanese government plans to increase its workforce through encouraging foreign nationals to come to the country over the next few years. Concerned with the problems brought by international people, this plan is being frowned by many Japanese. There was also concern for the increasing numbers of mixed race populace. We agreed that if the government were to push through with it, more stringent selection procedures be carried out to get the best quality of foreign nationals. Just like how the Canadians do it.

The Chinese really made a bold step in branding the planet earth made in China. Now, everything seems to come from them. In one Forbes article, China rejected Coca-Cola's US$2.3 billion plan to buy a juice company. Wow, they can command the world's leading companies.

In my view and not only because I am a foreigner, to boost the economy and population, the country needs to acquire more foreign nationals but they must carefully select the candidates for immigration. To become more competitive and regain its stature as Asia's top economy, its businesses need to reform the existing structure and become more open to the outside world. With the Internet, this is not a difficult task.

Later during the day, I received an email from a friend with whom I asked to review the initial draft of my first book. Concerned with the central part to which it was written, I was told to be very careful if I were to go public about it. That is why I also plan to get the advice of at least three lawyers, to represent me in a potential litigation case.

I do not know what kind of attorney I may need, I just have to find them in due time. If you could make a recommendation, that would be highly appreciated. They may either come from Japan and/or RP.

I ask: What would you do if you want to bring out in the open something that is not good and that something comes from the Establishment? And you were one of the victim of that something? Will you keep silent or diplomatically go public? Are you bold or sexy?

This entry is yet untitled because I could not think of a catchy title at the time of writing. Suggestions are welcome. Do not be shy to give comments and join my blog followers.
allvoices

No comments:

Post a Comment