Not satisfied with the action of the Philippine government regarding its probe on the Manila hostage crisis that killed eight Hong Kong nationals when a dismissed policeman went on a shooting-spree on 23 August, the 116 Filipino witnesses were formally invited by the Coroner's Office of Hong Kong to clear up the issues.
Secretary Leila de Lima of the Department of Justice said that the Office of the Chief State Counsel have invited the witnesses in the "spirit of cooperation," GMA Newsreported.
As part of the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty, De Lima added that the Philippines is willing to cooperate.
The appearance is voluntary and witnesses are not required to appear before the HK authorities, according to the Secretary.
It was further reported that the HK government will bear the witnesses' expenses. The Department still have to ascertain whether the witnesses will have to personally go to the Chinese territory or the inquest can be done in the country via the Internet.
The following persons where among the 116 who were invited:
1. SPO2 Gregorio Mendoza-brother of slain hostage-taker Rolando Mendoza
2. Dir. Gen. Jesus Versoza-retired Philippine National Police chief
3. Alfredo Lim-Manila Mayor
4. Francisco "Isko" Moreno-Manila Vice-Mayor
5. Erwin Tulfo-TV5 and RMN commentator
6. Michael Rogas-RMN reporter
7. Susan Enriquez-GMA 7 reporter
8. Forensic experts and members of the SWAT team in the rescue mission.
Visit this link for more info.