Monday, December 13, 2010

Funny names in English

What's your name? You're lucky it doesn't sound funny. Check out these real people with funny names. What were their parents thinking during the time?
***
From Kris Woods: I know of an Air Force Major whose name is Richard, goes by Dick, last name Holder. So officially he is Major Dick Holder. Real person.
***
I love this recent submission: "My friend's name is Crystal Ware and has been made fun of all of her life for it. She's been called names like Tupperware, silverware, and the famous underwear."
***
Meg Boner sent me this: "This one is real - it's mine. My maiden name was Meg Ann Childress. Nothing exciting. Well, I married Alan Boner, and now I am Meg A. Boner!"
***
Someone else sent me this: "My aunt's name is Debra May Page and she married Patrick Dye, so now she is called Debra May Dye!! Lol!!"
***
This is from Misty Cupp: "My maiden name is Misty Cupp (Miss Tea Cup). I am now Mason. My family jokes that I went from a tea cup to a Mason jar. I have a cousin named Crystal Cupp."
***
And this: "Our last name is Reitz pronounced rights. When my husband and I were expecting our son he wanted to name him William Oliver Reitz (Bill O. Reitz) [but] I wouldn't go for it."
***
From Robert Eisenschmidt: "I have a friend, Bill Land, who named his daughter Alison Wanda Land. His wife changed the name on the birth certificate when she found out."
***
From Joyce: "I enjoyed your website, especially the funny names. Where I work, there is a woman named Constance Sweat and another named Elizabeth Ard - she detests being called Liz Ard and prefers Beth. I knew another girl who named her son Eddy Bair."
***
From Phil Simms: "I knew a girl that went to Westside High in Omaha Nebraska named Summer Holiday."
***
From Theresa Glass: "When I was pregnant with my oldest son I wanted to name him Otto. Our last name is Glass. Otto Glass (auto glass). His dad wouldn't allow it."
***
From Denny Lease: "Here in Walla Walla, Washington (a funny name in itself) we once had a Dr. Ruff and a Dr. Au (pronounced OW)."
***
From Anna Mirer: "My grandfather's name was Les Cash, his wife was named Dess, and together they owned and operated the Cash Inn."
***
From Ashleigh Conners: "My name is Ashleigh Connors, my fiancée is John Tray. So when I get married I will become Ashleigh Tray. All my friends call me Ash. Ash Tray."
***
From Yvonne Iwasa: "My cousin's wife is Cherrie Crisp. My friend's dad is Wally Wacker."
***
From Jerry Brown: "My former wife's first husband was named Green, my name is Brown, she later married Robert Gray."
***
From Cal Ernst: "Back in the early 70s I went to college with two girls, Trudy Will and Cathy May. Probably not very funny on their own, but we had a good time with it back then. 'Cathy May but Trudy Will.' They were both good looking, too."
***
From Angeline Coffin: My name is A. Glass Coffin. My daughter-in-law was J. L. Beyt (jail bait). My sister was Betty Carr Glass and is now Betty Glass Ware.
***
From Tony Franklin: A colleague of mine lectures part time at a university. His name is Mike Coffey, and confusion sometimes occurs when students or staff ask his whereabouts. He takes his black.
***
My name is Cori Ander (like the spice) and my goal is to one day be part of the pop sensation known as the Spice Girls. I also have two classmates (sisters) Shelly May Dye and Catherine Will Dye.
***
From Brett Kissane: "Michigan's attorney general is named Mike Cox. One of his commercials says "Mike Cox is hard on the issues."
***
From Charlie Mitchell: "In the early 1990s, I worked with a man by the name of Pepsi diCola. I also know of a man named Coca diCola. The two are not related. You gotta love the Italians."
***
From Cynthia Purdy: "I know a girl named Isabelle-Marie Maddon. She married a guy whose last name is Kersing. In Quebec, we are not allowed to drop our maiden names, but it's acceptable to hyphenate our married names. So now her name is I.M. Maddon-Kersing (I am mad and cursing)."
***
From Jeremy Mays: Being in the military we get some pretty funny names with the ranks.

Major Payne - Yes he worked at the hospital.

Captain Hook - A friend's officer in charge of his section.

Colonel Sergeant - My base commander in Korea. To me it's funny because a Colonel is an officer and a Sergeant is enlisted.
***
From Dawn Epstein: I worked for Centronics in the late 70s to early 80s, and we had an electronic parts representative whose name was D.C. Current. He swore it was genuinely his birth name, and added that his father's name was "A.C. Current, and they rectified the situation."
***
From Doug Horton: I had a veterinary who was called Peter Nutt (P. Nutt) and his wife's name was Hazel.
***
From Bena: There was a female private I used to know in Ottawa when I was in the military. Her name was Sheila Rose Richardson. She married a serviceman surnamed Hiscock and became Sheila Rose Hiscock.
allvoices

No comments:

Post a Comment