Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Philippine politician pleads guilty to drug charges in HK, asks for leniency


The son of the politically powerful Luis "Chavit" Singson, governor of Ilocos Sur in northern Philippines, pleaded guilty to drug offences in a Hong Kong court on Monday, a report from the AFP and quoted by Sin Chew Jit Poh said.
Congressman Ronald V. Singson admitted that he tried to smuggle cocaine in to the Chinese territory hiding the contraband substance in his underpants to avoid airport search measures.
The 42-year-old lawmaker admitted to have in possession two tablets of Nitrazepam--a narcotic agent--and 6.67 grams of cocaine (total value of coke: US$2,000) upon arrival at the HK airport on 11 July 2010.
The high-profile politician cum music promoter (Channel V) confided to drug trafficking that will make him face a maximum life imprisonment and a possible HK$5 million (US$640,000) fine.
Denying any plans to re-sell the drugs, Singson pleaded for leniency.
The second-term member of the House of Representatives testified to using drugs due to "political and business pressures" and relationship problems that made him suffer from depression.
The representative from Ilocos Sur admitted to sniffing coke everyday. He said he consumes four to five grams of the prohibited substance daily that cost him PhP25,000 (US$570) since 2004.
Congressman Ronald V. Singson said, "I apologise to the people of Hong Kong. This was a very big mistake and in the process, I have ruined my name and reputation, embarrassing my family and causing pain to my girlfriend."
The regretful Singson added, "I've never been more remorseful in my life. This is just the beginning of my problems. Not knowing my fate back home has cause me a great deal of pain."
And finally, the honorable Ilocos Sur representative pleaded to the HK court, "I ask you to find it in your heart to... sentence me with leniency. There's nothing more I want than to go on with my life."
The Hong Kong judge, in a well-attended courtroom, replied, "You are convicted on your own plea and admission of the facts."
The verdict will be heard on Tuesday.
Details of this story here.
allvoices

No comments:

Post a Comment