More than 150 people were killed in Burma (Myanmar), which is twice the official report of over 70 after a 6.8 magnitude earthquake hit this Southeast Asian country close to the Laos-Thai border on Thursday.
A journalist of the Shan Herald News Agency told the Bangkok Post that the death toll after the powerful quake was double than those quoted in the media.
A native of Tachilek, reporter Puenkham Payakwong said that relief efforts barely reached the affected people who had inadequate supply of rice and water.
ABC Radio Australia confirmed reports that fresh water is in short supply in the quake-hit areas.
Payakwong said in a telephone interview from Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district, "The casualties are much higher than the official figure.
"Many people are still missing and their relatives have been trying in vain to search for their loved ones."
The Shan media man added that many houses had been destroyed and villagers have to stay in monasteries or on roads.
He also said that rice and water are badly needed.
People find it hard to reach relief supplies because foreign aid agencies set up their units in far away areas.
Shan state's Tachileik town and neighboring Mong Lin and Tarlay are the worst hit areas.
Hundreds of homes were flattened and buildings were toppled said witnesses, according to ABC Radio Australia.
People fear the entire village has been wiped out.
World Vision charity estimated that about 15,000 may have been affected. They have sent tarpaulins as emergency shelter and first aid kits.
On Friday, the Red Cross confirmed at least 120 people had been killed, and the number is expected to increase.
It was also reported that more than 240 buildings and monasteries have collapsed in the country.
A Thai woman in Thailand's Mae Sai was killed following the tremor. No tsunami occurred.
Watch the devastation in the attached YouTube video.
Details of this report here.